Friday, February 24, 2012

Accomplishments of the new year

I wanted to take a quick moment and share with everyone Liam's great accomplishments. None of them are that new anymore, since I am so far behind in blogging. But, they are bid deal nonetheless.
In the swift passage of January, Liam did some big things:

1. Gave up his paci - Jon and I had long ago lost any warm feelings we had for his "paci", but Liam loved it dearly. Around Christmas, however, he started chewing on it. This resulted in him putting a hole in one. We threw it away, as it was shredding and he was certain to end up swallowing bits of the rubber (?). We told him if he did it again he wouldnt get another. Shock- he clearly  did the same thing about a week later. By the new year paci was gone. It was a smoother, though sader transition that I expected since Liam knew he had done this to himself. I had elaborate plans for a paci fairy coming when he turned three. Not necessary. Instead I had a somber 2 year old that would ask for his paci in moments when he was tired, only to remember what had happend and announce, "Oh no, I broke my paci."  I honestly felt sad for him. But he handled it well and moved on quickly.
2. Moved into a big boy bed - After the new year, liam started wanting to sleep in our guest bed. We got him back into his room with the transition to a big boy bed and a cute set of thomas the tank engine sheets. Unfortunately, it later became clear that blue of the pillow case was rubbing off a bit on his hair. He had the subtle blue hair of an elderly grandmother. Rigorous washing made the blue... more pronouced.

3.  Liam Joseph Rosemeyer is potty trained! Hooray for everyone, especially those responsible for changing diapers in our house. Of course, he continues to perfect this craft but for the most part has done a great job. Its amazing what a bag of chewy sweat tarts can do for motivation.

Seemingly overnight my little baby boy is growing up. In a quick flash he's mastered some new skills, grown taller, more articulate (is that possible?), and truely become a big boy. Time is a weird thing as a parent, I am coming to find. In one moment you're wondering how are you ever going to make it 'til nap time and another months have flipped by and your child has grown and learned and changed more than you could have imagined.

P.S Lucy - never to be ignored is a speedy crawler and is now cruising quickly along our furniture. I imagine walking can't be too far off.


Liam pushes his sister around the park. Today potty training, tomorrow babysitting?

Joy ride? Lucy looks unimpressed.

No comments: